Monday, January 29, 2007

Back from the Workshop

Well I'm back from the workshop. Prince Charles didn't show up, but the workshop was great! If you are interested in painting realism in watercolor I highly recommend studying with James Toogood. He is an excellent instructor and is very good at explaining watercolor techniques - not only how to use them, but also why they work. He also is sensitive to each student's artistic goals and targets his individual remarks accordingly.

Now normally I wouldn't show a workshop painting to anyone, except maybe my husband and parents. Taking a workshop is all about trying new things. It might mean trying new painting techniques, new subject matter, new paints or all of the above! All of that experimenting typically results in some pretty... let's just say... interesting paintings. And although they may be mighty interesting, they are not necessarily something I'd share freely.

During this workshop I painted a white porcelain teapot sitting on a box draped with dark fabric. My goals were to capture the dramatic darks in the fabric and the colors being reflected in the pot. And while this isn't my favorite painting ever, I like it enough to put it here to show you how I spent my weekend.

So here's my teapot. I hope you like it too.


Teapot
Approx 6.5" x 7"
Transparent watercolor
copyright Stacy L. Rowan

3 comments:

M J Muir said...

Hi stacy. I'm so glad you had a good time at the workshop and that you are back.

Is the background fabric a velvet by any chance?
Your painting is vivid and striking.
I know that usually you take a lot of time with a painting and I know a workshop is quite a different setting and one has to work fast.
It takes a lot of courage to work under those circumstances.

I'd say your workshop was a success even if the prince didn't show.

Take care!
Love bluelilac.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogging community! I just tagged you! You have to write a blog post about 6 of your idiosyncracies and then tag someone else.

Tag! You're It!
Denise

Stacy said...

Hi Blue and Robin! Thanks for stopping by. The workshop was great. I'm anxious to use what I learned in another painting. Hopefully today. I enjoy painting while I listen to a football game on TV, especially when I don't care about the outcome of the game.

Robin, have fun at your workshop!

Denise, don't worry. I'll find some way to get you back. :p