Friday, January 12, 2007

Art History

I thought I would provide you with some background information about me. I am a bit of a late bloomer. As a kid I never progressed past the standard kids drawings and art class in school. But I did enjoy watching my dad draw and looking through his large cabinet of art supplies.

When it came time to head off to college, I chose to major in chemical engineering. Yes, I know that may seem strange now, but ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you I am very analytical. Although, they might not phrase it so nicely. :)

Once I was settled in my career, I decided to take up a hobby. I remembered my attraction to Dad's art cabinet and decided to sign up for a drawing class at the local community college. I didn't know if I would enjoy drawing or have any skill at it, but it was something I wanted to try. And I was pleasantly surprised.

After the community college class, I took several more classes at the local art school before taking a break to enjoy the birth of my daughters. My dad brought me back to art a couple of years later by convincing me to take a watercolor workshop with him. That was over 6 years ago and now I am completely hooked. Since the first workshop, I have taken several more, studied with local artists and participated in a fabulous online artist community.

So that's my art history. If anyone living near the Lehigh Valley is interested in seeing some of my work in person, I currently have two paintings in a group show at the Family YMCA of Easton. The YMCA is located at 1225 W. Lafayette Street in Easton, PA. The show runs through February 16th. My painting "Autumn Sunset" is in the show and is pictured below.



copyright Stacy L. Rowan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ENJOYED the birth of your daughters??? Did you forget the part where they almost pulled that thing out of your neck? Or the part where Dave ate the sandwich? You may love your girls (I know that I certainly love them), but nobody ENJOYS childbirth....
I liked your history!
Denise

Stacy said...

Okay, so maybe I didn't enjoy the actual birth part...but those months after when they slept a lot and didn't know how to talk back yet were pretty good. ;)

Billie Crain said...

LOL! i knew what you meant about the births, Stacy. congratulations on your exhibition! i like this sunset. it's a pleasant departure from all those firey reds and oranges typical of sunset paintings.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Hi Stacy, it great to see you have a blog presence now. And congratulations on the showing of your work. It is a hit I am sure. Wish I was closer to come see it in person.

Stacy said...

Thank you Billie! Denise knew what I meant too. She was just giving me a hard time like big sisters will do. Not to worry, if she gets out of hand I'll just tell Mom. LOL

Hi Jeanette! Good to see you here! I've enjoyed reading your blog and others from the Wet Canvas crowd so much that I decided it was time to try my hand.