Thursday, January 25, 2007

Children's Art Projects

Okay, this post is for all of you who are parents of young children or who are just kids at heart. If you are looking for some cool art projects to do with your kids, I recommend you zip right over to the Crayola® website. This is a fantastic and fun website which has literally hundreds of ideas for kids crafts. You can find crafts for any holiday or celebration and crafts to do for no reason at all. There are also coloring pages, online activities and of course an online store if you need any supplies. Plus, for any of you that are teachers or home school your children, there is a large collection of lesson plans all which are free to use.

I suggest you check out the art projects first. You will need to register (not to worry, it's free), then click on the "For Parents" tab. Next click on the "Arts and Crafts" button. This will bring up a page where you can search for a project by type of craft, theme or product. Each project page lists the materials you will need and gives step-by-step instructions as well as a photograph of a completed project example.

So, maybe you are wondering how I know so much about the Crayola website... Well, in the name of full disclosure, I will tell you that I am a freelance artist for Crayola. I create art using their products. The art that I create is used on product packages, for trade shows or on their website. So far I have created cards, ornaments, sculptures, and different drawings and paintings using a multitude of Crayola products. I have to admit it is a fun job, but somebody has to do it.

In fact, this week I am working on three separate projects using their new Squeezables™ product. Squeezables are liquid crayons. You squeeze the tube and a thin line of color comes out. It is kind of like decorating a cake. (Okay, I admit I have never decorated a cake, but I've seen it done on TV and it looks the same to me.) My projects will be used at an upcoming trade show. Unfortunately I don't think I can post them here, but if they ever make it onto the online projects list, I promise to share a link.

And if you are really dying to see some of my Crayola art, check out the Crayola Cutter™ Pop-Up Cards kit the next time you are out. The birthday card on the back of the package...that was mine.

No comments: