Saturday, March 13, 2010

Days 46 and 47

We started out Day 46 by visiting Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park. The park encompasses royal grounds and a place of refuge where ancient hawaiians could go to escape death if they had broken a Kapu (broken one of their laws).  This park is beautiful, peaceful and full of history. Definitely worth the visit.

photo of temple at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

Again we saw turtles, this time in the shallow water.

photo of Hawaiian honu (turtle)
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

Later, we returned to the snorkeling beach. While there I sketched part of a beautiful lei that my wonderful husband bought for me.

The lei was made from strips of palm fronds which were twisted together. Spaced equally around the lei were plumeria flowers. The best thing about this lei was that when the flowers wilted they could be removed and replaced with fresh ones.

The Hawaiian woman who made the lei told my husband that she learned the art of lei making from her grandmother and she was using materials from trees planted by her grandfather.

sketch of flower lei
sepia pen in cahier pocket sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

The next day we moved from the island of Hawaii to the island of Maui. I did my sketch while waiting to board our plane in Hawaii. The Keahole Airport near Kona is my favorite airport. It's an open air airport. All the gates look like huts with thatched roofs. This palm tree was right in the middle of the gate area.

palm tree sketch
sepia pen in cahier pocket sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

One of the things I noticed in Hawaii was all of the different types of palm trees. I wish I had been able to sketch more of them.

2 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

So are we going to see some Stacy watercolors of Hawaii? will be waiting to see.

Stacy said...

Gary, I took plenty of pictures while I was in Hawaii - over 500 I think. And of course I have my sketches, so I have a lot of possible references. Someday I will put all this material to good use, I'm just not sure when.