Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 38 - Japanese Maple

Aloha!

You may have noticed that it has been a few weeks since I posted anything from my "Sketch-A-Day" project. Yes, it's true, I've fallen behind. But not with the sketching! Just with the scanning and posting.

You see, my family and I hopped on an airplane to escaped the cold, snowy weather we've been having. We split town and spent a couple of wonderful weeks in warm, sunny Hawaii.

Now we are back and I've started the process of scanning all of my February sketches. I plan to post them over the next few weeks.

Today, picking up from where I left off, I am posting the sketch from day 38. It shows a japanese maple and a small evergreen bush that can be found in front of my house. The bush is covered with snow that fell that day.

japanese maple sketch
sepia pen and colored pencil in pocket cahier sketchbook
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

I did the sketch in ink but wasn't in love with it, so I decided to try and add some color. I got out my infrequently used colored pencils and added a light touch of color. I didn't want to go too heavy because I still wanted the ink lines to be the main player. I was amazed at how the color brought the sketch to life. Now it is one of my favorites!

------------------------------------
You may also notice that I now have word verification on my comments form and that all comments are being moderated. I hated to make these changes, but I was getting overwhelmed with spam comments. I hope these additions won't discourage you from commenting. I value all comments and feedback I get from my readers. Thank you!

No comments: