Saturday, March 6, 2010

Days 39 and 40

These sketches are from the last two days before we left on vacation.

I had recently purchased a couple of new brush pens. I decided to try out the raw umber pen for my Day 39 sketch. I tried several small sketches, but wasn't thrilled with any of them. It took me two pages of small sketches to realize that the culprit was the pen. I really prefer the warmer, darker sepia ink. (I don't think the color difference shows up as much here.) I may try this pen again for shading but I doubt I will use it for line work.






various sketches
raw umber pen in pocket cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan
FYI: The top sketch is posting larger on my screen than it is in real life.

After giving my plants their pre-vacation drink I decided the watering can would make a great subject for Day 40.

watering can sketch
pencil sketch in cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

2 comments:

M J Muir said...

Glad you are back safe and sound from your holiday. Trying new pens is always an adventure and you never know if you are going to stumble onto a pen that fits your style of working.
I do like sepia as a drawing colour especially a conte crayon in sepia on a big sheet of paper using the sides and the points of the stick. (Sorry to go on about me again.)
Your drawings are charming Stacy. I enjoy stopping by to see what you are up to this week.

Stacy said...

Thanks MJ! I so appreciate your kind words and regular comments. And seeing how busy you've been over on your blog makes me appreciate it even more.