Saturday, March 6, 2010

Days 39 and 40

These sketches are from the last two days before we left on vacation.

I had recently purchased a couple of new brush pens. I decided to try out the raw umber pen for my Day 39 sketch. I tried several small sketches, but wasn't thrilled with any of them. It took me two pages of small sketches to realize that the culprit was the pen. I really prefer the warmer, darker sepia ink. (I don't think the color difference shows up as much here.) I may try this pen again for shading but I doubt I will use it for line work.






various sketches
raw umber pen in pocket cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan
FYI: The top sketch is posting larger on my screen than it is in real life.

After giving my plants their pre-vacation drink I decided the watering can would make a great subject for Day 40.

watering can sketch
pencil sketch in cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

2 comments:

Mary Jane said...

Glad you are back safe and sound from your holiday. Trying new pens is always an adventure and you never know if you are going to stumble onto a pen that fits your style of working.
I do like sepia as a drawing colour especially a conte crayon in sepia on a big sheet of paper using the sides and the points of the stick. (Sorry to go on about me again.)
Your drawings are charming Stacy. I enjoy stopping by to see what you are up to this week.

Stacy said...

Thanks MJ! I so appreciate your kind words and regular comments. And seeing how busy you've been over on your blog makes me appreciate it even more.