Thursday, January 20, 2011

Don't Be a Loser

sketch of empty pretzel bag* - Day 173
graphite on paper
©2010 Stacy L. Rowan

I was driving home from an appointment the other day and I passed a sign on the side of the road. This sign looked similar to a speed limit sign, but instead of showing the speed limit it had a message on it.

The message said "Only Losers Litter".

Really. It did.

Only Losers Litter. Are you kidding me?

This is not a handmade sign. It is a metal sign attached to a metal pole. The pole is sunk into the ground. It looks like something a road crew would put up. Which means someone paid to have the sign made and installed.

Someone paid for the sign and the best deterrent they could come up with to discourage people from littering was name calling. Really? As if people who litter will be stopped by that.

I only wish I had thought to pull over and take a picture.

*The subject matter for this sketch was properly disposed of after the sketch was completed. It was not hung over the top edge of the above mentioned sign. Although that would have been funny. Good thing for them that I'm not a loser.

4 comments:

M J Muir said...

Hi there. I see you are up to some funny stuff and I am having a chuckle at your story about that sign. Hugs Stacy.

Stacy said...

Glad I could share some silliness with you today MJ. :)

Jennifer Rose said...

ooh i would have been so tempted to hang a few strings of cans over that sign, but littering is wrong :p but yes, generally the people that do litter will not care about the sign :/ its a waste of money, but for some reason someone must have thought the slogan was a good idea

Stacy said...

Jennifer, good thing you weren't with me when I saw the sign or it may have received a little creative decoration from us. ;p And personally I would have loved to hear the conversation that led to the installation of this sign. I think it would have been very entertaining.