Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sketching Plans

sketch of planter at my mother-in-laws
sepia ink on paper
©2010 Stacy Rowan

This is one of my sketches from last year's daily sketching project.

I really enjoyed having a regular sketching practice. And I love looking back on all the sketches I produced now that the pressure to find a new subject every day is gone. I want to take some of what I liked in that project and incorporate it into my art life this year.

When I decided on last year's sketching project, I envisioned heading out every day and finding something interesting to sketch. Reality quickly set in and I realized that it wasn't feasible for me to go out sketching every day, especially if I wanted to have any time to paint originals.

My commitment to sketch every day, combined with my inability to go out sketching every day, meant I ended up sketching at home. As it got harder to find interesting subjects at home I pushed the sketching off later and later - often sketching right before going to bed. Not the best recipe for inspired sketching. And it explains why I ended the project after six months.

It didn't take me too long to miss the sketching though. So this year I've decided to make it a point to get out of the house for some sketching sessions. Not every day. I know that's not possible. Instead I will target once a month. I am scheduling this Friday morning as my first day out. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

good luck! :D i really enjoyed seeing your sketches last year, so looking forward to the ones this year

Stacy said...

Thanks Jennifer! I didn't make it out on Friday because the kids had a snow day, but I did do a couple of sketches at home. I am counting it toward my goal even though I didn't "go out". I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates better next month. :)