Monday, February 8, 2010

Days 33, 34 and 35

I'm covering a few days worth of sketches at once here.

iron sketch
sepia pen in pocket cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

First a drawing of an infrequently used small appliance - my iron. I remember that my mom ironed almost every night when I was growing up. Personally, I'm very happy for the invention of wrinkle-free fabrics, because I've been known not to wear an article of clothing that was too wrinkled instead of ironing it.

hand sketch
2B pencil in Cotman Field sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

Day 34 I had trouble finding a subject for my sketch. When lacking a subject what's an artist to do? Draw herself of course - or at least part of herself. That's what I did this day when I drew my hand. One of the best things about this sketch was that it finished up a sketchbook that I've been working in for several years. This is only the third sketchbook I've actually completely filled up. I used to have a habit of starting sketch books without finishing the previous one. I think this challenge may break me of that habit!

sketch of candles on shelf
sepia pen in pocket cahier sketch book
copyright 2010 Stacy L. Rowan

This third sketch is of a shelf in my hair dresser's salon. I had a full schedule that day so I was determined to get my sketching in early. The waiting during my hair appointment seemed like the perfect time to tackle my daily sketch.

What I didn't plan on was someone striking up a converstion as soon as I started drawing. It felt rude to keep sketching while they were talking, so I stopped. But then by the time they moved on I had to change my seat, which also changed my view of the subject. In the end I only did about a third of the sketch while I was at the salon. I finished the rest of it from memory when I got back home.

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

that looks like a Rowenta iron! These are good drawings. Keep them coming!

Stacy said...

Thanks Celeste - both for your visit and your kind words! As an indication of how infrequently I iron, I had to go look at the iron to find out what brand it is. Turns out it's a Black & Decker.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Wow, I can't remember the last time I ironed. Likely when someone died and my husband needed a shirt pressed. If you take stuff out of the dryer when its still warm and fold it, it works perfectly!