Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tap Dancer Drawing - Quick Turn of Phrase


A Quick Turn of Phrase
14" x 18" graphite on paper
Stacy L. Rowan
available at the William Ris Gallery

To turn a phrase means to give words new meaning by using them in a particular arrangement. Just like words in a poem or story, common tap steps can be given new life by combining them in unique ways. One way to make a combination more impressive and to increase the level of difficulty is to do the steps while turning.

I knew I wanted to create a drawing from this reference the first time I saw it. I love the motion and the twist of the legs. And it turned out to be one of those drawings that just flowed from the first pencil mark until the end. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. For this drawing I used graphite, but don't be surprised if you see another version pop up some day in charcoal or watercolor. Some references are like that, they make you want to revisit them more than once.

6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Love this Stacy!

M J Muir said...

I like the swoosh and sense of movement in these sketches.

Jennifer Rose said...

wonderful sense of movement :D

Billie Crain said...

I'm really quite taken with your charcoal tap series, Stacy. It's unique and the motion you manage to imply with the blur effect is well....very effective! It's obvious you have a great passion for this subject because it shows in your art.:)

Robyn Sinclair said...

Wonderful life in this drawing, Stacy. Awesome series.

Stacy said...

Thank you ladies for all the kind comments!!

Billie, our art is like our children in that we aren't supposed to have favorites, but I must admit this tap series holds a special place in my heart. It's just so dang fun!! I'm glad that is coming through.