Thursday, September 17, 2009

Faber-Castell Pitt Pen

I recently purchased a Faber-Castell Pitt Artist pen with a brush nib. I like sketching in pen because it forces me to try to get my marks right the first time. And it forces me to live with them when I get them wrong. When I sketch with pencil I am too tempted to erase marks that aren't correct.

sketches with new Pitt brush tip pen

On the other hand, I like how I can change the quality of a pencil line. I feel like my sketches done with a Micron pen don't have the same expressiveness as my pencil sketches. (Or at least the pencil sketches where I don't allow myself to erase and constantly correct.)

sketches with new Pitt brush tip pen

The solution -- a Pitt pen with a flexible brush tip. With the brush tip I can draw a very fine line or a broad one just by changing the angle of the tip to the paper. And it allows for looser movements originating in my wrist or arm instead of just the tighter movements originating with my fingers.

sketches with new Pitt brush tip pen

I haven't done many sketches with my brush pen yet, mostly just some preliminary play, but I'm looking forward to improving the feel of my sketches. And I hope if I improve my mark making in my sketches, it will carry over into my watercolor painting.

5 comments:

Rose Welty said...

You are tempting me to stop by the art store today...

I bought a brush pen a few years ago, I thought I would love it, but I ended up hating it. Perhaps it was just that I bought an inferior one. I certainly have heard lots of people rave about them. And there is some incredible work out there done with them.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I like pen and ink work a lot and its a lot more forgiving than I initially thought. Or at least I can hide badly placed marks with other marks!

I too have a brush pen and don't like it at all. I used it a couple of times then tossed it in the never never pile. Its the very fact that it DOES make alternate width lines that I don't like I think. I lose control with it more easily then end up with blotches instead of clean lines.

But it looks like you're getting the hang of it.

Jennifer Rose said...

we got a set of pens for college and one is a brush pen, I love it. You can make such interesting lines with it.

I really like your little bunny, its very well done :)

Stacy said...

Rose, maybe you will find you like brush pens better now. I think it would suit you because you enjoy creating different brush strokes when you use acrylics. Not that I want to be responsible for tempting you to shop.

Jeanette, I love hearing why one person likes a certain art tool and someone else can't stand it. I think there is a lot to learn in the explanations. For me relinquishing control can be a challenge, but it's a challenge that I want to conquer (at least when it comes to my art). With the brush pen I guess I don't have much of a choice which is good - no temptation!

Jennifer, I hope you post some of your pen sketches. I'd love to see how someone else is using a brush pen. Right now I'm trying to learn by playing. I'm guessing your teachers are offering you a little more structure.

Jennifer Rose said...

no, not much structure going on in any of the classes actually...:/