Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tap Dancer Drawing – Icebreaker

WC tap drwg 2_scan 02 crop adjust

Icebreaker
18" x 14" graphite drawing on Canson paper
Stacy L. Rowan

This is the second drawing in my tap dance series. Tap dancing, like art, can act as a means of communication. One of my goals with my tap dance series is to bring tap conversations to a wider audience and increase the appreciation for this style of dance.

I have been titling all the drawings to go along with this idea of using dance to communicate. The first drawing is named “Riff”. According to the American Heritage dictionary a riff is “a clever or inventive commentary or remark.” A riff is also a common tap step. Its two sounds are created by brushing the ball of the foot followed by a heel strike on the same foot. Looking at the drawing, you can see the blur of the foot on the left shows the motion required to create the different sounds in the riff.

The drawing shown above is titled “Icebreaker”. An icebreaker can be a comment that eases tension and acts as a conversation starter. The dance conversation has to start somewhere as well. Why not with a strong, simple sound like a thumping heel to start the beat?

10 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Stacy,

Another fabulous drawing! You are so clever with the titles...what a series!

Rose Welty said...

I have to add...I don't think it would have been easy to come with crops on these drawings, but you have done a great job. The composition is very strong.

M J Muir said...

Hi Dear Stacy
So glad you are back to your blog.
I really like this series.
This is a lovely drawing.

Mary Jane

Jennifer Rose said...

I agree with Rose, the crop on this work really well :)

Billie Crain said...

Stacy, I think you've found a wonderful and unique niche with this tap series. I love the explanations that go with each.:)

Stacy said...

Thanks Rose! I am glad you like the cropped composition. I really want to focus attention on the feet. Although someday I might try drawing the whole dancer. I'm having fun coming up with the titles. I hope I can keep it up!!

Hi Mary Jane! I'm hoping to do better with the blog posting because I have stuff to share. :) I'm glad you are enjoying this series too.

Thanks Jennifer Rose! I'm trying to put some of those compositional rules to good use.

Thanks Billie! I'm really enjoying myself so I'm happy others are liking the work too.

Robyn Sinclair said...

You'll have a wonderful exhibition in this series, Stacy. It's a great idea beautifully executed.

Gary Keimig said...

Great idea to do a series such as this and you are defintely off to a great start. Good movement shown in these drawings

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely fantastic Stacy! You have captured the movement so well. This theme will make a great series
ronell

Stacy said...

Thank you so much Robyn! I hope you are right. :)

Thanks Gary! Working on this series has been so much fun so far. With every drawing I do I think of more I want to add to the list.

Thank you Ronell! I am glad you feel I successfully captured the movement. By the end of a drawing I've spent so much time with it that it is difficult for me to be an unbiased judge.