Friday, March 27, 2009

Graphite House Finch - March VSD


This little graphite drawing is my entry for the March Virtual Sketch Date. I drew it in my Moleskine sketch book using a 2B pencil while I waited for my kids.

I supplied the reference this month, so I am quite familiar with this bird. He comes to a bird feeder in my back yard. I tried a few times to take his picture, but he always seemed to fly off as soon as I went to get my camera. I think he is shy.

Finally he showed up with his lady friend one day when I already had my camera out, and I managed a few quick shots of their romantic meal. Now I know what it feels like to be the paparazzi. Minus the big paycheck, of course.

17 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Beautifully done Stacy! So soft and gentle...really lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful finch!! Beautiful drawing!!

Jennifer Rose said...

Very soft looking bird :) nicely done :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

This is great Stacy. I love the soft tones you've gotten with it. Nice one!

M J Muir said...

You caught the essence of your little bird friend. A sensitive and gentle drawing. Go girl!
PS. Thanks for the reference photo this time around.

Sydney Harper said...

Beautifully drawn! I do love these little birds. They come to my feeder too.

Debbie Later said...

This is wonderful. I just want to hold him in my hand.

Jonathan said...

I love his curious little face

Anonymous said...

Stacy, great job. I like the branches and background.
Love Dad

laura said...

It's a gorgeous drawing, Stacy, so sensitive; there's something pleasingly old-fashioned about it.

Stacy said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! I had fun relaxing into this drawing. So much so that I may revisit him again sometime.

Mary said...

This is so cute Stacy, and I'm with you in feeling let down when you are waiting for the same little bird to show up and , nada. I've been spying a little red bird that loves the closest branch to my window and even left the camera set up the night before but had no luck.

Billie Crain said...

i love the way he has his little head cocked. he sees you! great sketch, Stacy!

Anita said...

Sweet little birdy!
Isn't it annoying when you are all set to take a photo and your subject, totally oblivious to you, just flits off to do something else!

Stacy said...

Thanks ladies! Isn't it terrible when wild animals and nature won't cooperate with our artistic vision. The nerve... :D

Denise said...

Is this piece available? He would sure look cute at my house...

Stacy said...

Denise, I emailed you!