Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sketchy Resolutions

glass of milk
graphite sketch in Moleskine sketchbook
Stacy L. Rowan

First let me say a belated Happy New Year! Although I wasn't posting I was thinking of all of you. I've been trying to come up with a witty summary for 2007 or some fabulously motivating goals for 2008. But honestly, what I've got is a bit sketchy.

2007 was a year of building. I met about half of the goals I set at the beginning of the year. The other half I consciously tossed to make the most of other opportunities, like the mentorship with Michael Newberry.

I'm still working on my goals for 2008. I have three objectives that I want to work on this year, but I haven't translated them into well-defined, measurable goals.

My three objectives are...
  1. Enjoy art more. Have fun creating it and showing it. Let the joy come through in the work.

  2. Clarify my motivations for creating art and make sure my message comes through in each work of art and in my written and verbal communications.

  3. Create a regular sketching practice so when I travel to Germany in August I can create a fabulous travel journal for remembering our trip.
The last objective is pretty easy to put into goal form, but I am struggling a bit with the first two. So I'm going to let these objectives incubate for a while. And as I work on projects I'll ask myself if the work is taking me toward my objectives or away from them.

The sketch above was the first in my regular sketching practice. It is my daughter's glass of milk from our lunch at the Bethlehem Brew Works. Unfortunately she drank it all and they cleared her glass before I was done with my sketch. Next time I'll speak up and have them leave it. Or I'll make her go thirsty until I'm done. After all, what is a small sacrifice in the name of art?

(By the way, you don't know what control it took not to title this post "Got Milk"!)

5 comments:

Sue Johnson said...

Hi Stacey, Thanks for sharing your process as you define your artistic goals for 2008. This motivates me to consider more seriously some goals for myself for the coming year.

Also, thanks much for your comments on my blog about how to push through a dry period.

PS I like your "sketchy" glass of milk.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I was green about your mentorship with Michael Newberry, Stacy. How long was it for?
I like what you managed to capture with your glass of milk. I have a sense of warm sun casting that lovely shadow through the glass. Of course, I spend quite a lot of time imagining warm sun at the moment! ;)

Quilt knit said...

Hi! Stacy: I would love to know more about your Michael Newberry internship. Let me say! Your and Hubby should start putting back for the iMac. As for sketching on the go, with children, the iPhone would have been a brilliant piece of artistic Weapon! I have on my blog, my photos of some of my Drip paintings ( honoring Jackson Pollock ) and a two snow pictures, both taken with iPhone. The quality is excellent and operation is silent.
I love my iPhone and the MAC I am typing on. I am also surprised to hear how many of you have "dial up service". I am on Comcast. And the Wi-Fi is in the Apartment. I will take over this laptop after We set up the iMac and then I will start my savings for the MAC Pro. It should be here by June. We are going to get married - iPod, iPhones, iMac, and Mac Pro 17" and I hope to have this MacBook refurbished for the last time.
MAC HOUSE is going to be a lot of fun. I will also be doing more art on line.
I am so excited for this year 2008.

Love your Milk drawing.

((( Circle of Art Hugs )))
Sherrie

Stacy said...

Happy New Year Sue! I hope your dry spell is over and you are starting 2008 full of creativity. As for goals...if I didn't set goals, I'd never make any progress!

Robyn, my mentorship with Michael is for 10 sessions. I still have a few sessions left because life managed to overtake some of my art time. (Who knew 3rd grade would keep us ALL so busy?!?)

Sherrie, thanks for visting and taking the time to comment. If you want to know more about Michael's mentorship program, I have a link to his website in the right hand column. You can find the all the basic information right there. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me. Hubby and I are still considering a Mac for our next computer. Our last purchase had to be done quickly since we were without a computer. We are both analytical types and weren't comfortable switching without first doing research and we didn't have time to research. So we are PC users for a few more years.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your objective Stacy...I've already seen some of them here at "Stop and draw the roses" and I'm lookign forward to more. A great first sketch in your practice series...keep going!
ronell