Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pitman Craft Show in Review

I thought I'd give a report of last weekend's craft show. If I had to choose one word to describe the show it would be 'average'.

The weather was beautiful aside from one brief storm that blew up right after we finished setting up. It was like something out of a sit-com. After putting up a tarp loaned to us by our booth neighbor Jerry the pop-gun guy (Thanks Jerry!), we quickly moved the tables and racks to the center of the booth and squeezed ourselves into the corners so we could hold onto the canopy legs. The gusty winds felt like they might lift up the canopy and blow it away despite the attached weights. My husband said I looked like a ship captain manning the sails and trying to keep my ship afloat! The few brave people who showed up early to beat the crowds couldn't even get into our booth! We must have been hysterical to watch.

Ten short minutes later it was all over. By noon the clouds were gone and the sun was shining brightly. And once we moved everything back into place our booth looked great! Unfortunately you'll have to take my word on it because I forgot to take a picture.

The crowds were good and remained pretty consistent through the day. Not many people were carrying bags though and the bags I saw contained smaller items. Our sales followed that trend.

On a more positive note, I had a few people stop by who mentioned that they received my postcard mailer about the show. So I am calling the mailer a success and will be working to expand my mailing list. Also, now that these two shows are over, I should have more time for creating new paintings and drawings. YAY!! In fact I've already started, but you'll have to wait for the next post to find out more.

No comments: